-
My advice is to go out and play. College is a good route if you want to head straight to teaching...
One of the problems I think is that the teaching theory on which these curriculums are based is at fault so not much learning actuallt goes on!
(I'd better stop there I think...)
-
Hi guys,
I know how you feel, i was thinking that way just after i left college. I went to music college and had a great time, met loads of great players and great people, learnt so much, whether directly from lectures and college bands or more indirectly through talking to people and seeing gigs. The point is surely that your going to get more of all of that, and more variety or opportunities if you hit a good music course somewhere. okay, if you get offered the wayne krantz gig tommorow or the Jill Scott gig (Or whatever), yes, you would be a fool not go. Untill that happens i am still of the belief (even if college was a long way from PERFECT) that there is no way i could have amassed that much playing, learning and sheer MUSIC TIME if id stayed at home and just tried to get it together myself - whilst working a 9-5.
Im just planning my next study jaunt, when i can afford it in a couple of years. The idea of rehersing and improving every aspect of what i do every day is EXCITING.
Dont forget, just because your studying at a music school doesnt mean you cant be active in the local music scene, surely thats the whole point! Get playing with people outside of the college.
Forgive my 'poncy' post.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 06, 2005 11:05 AM: Message edited by: John Blackburn ]</font>
-
SP,
I'm not that frequent of a poster here and some of the posts were a bit wordy so I didn't get to read them all. (isn't ADD a bitch) I could be a little redundant; please bear with me.
My dream was to be a pro guy, but to do it with a band because I was lazy and didn't want to learn to read or rely on myself to get it done. That being said, I was WRONG. Trust yourself, start small and dream big. By that I mean, you know you can play so do it. Get experience there in your local area. Once you've garnered all you can where you are...move to the big show. Some of my classmates from Musician's Inst. did just that..in fact one just got dumped off of Gwen Stefani's tour, the poor bastard, but how many of us can say we even got a tour like that?
I still work with drums every day, and I'm happy to be doing what I'm doing, I just wish that I had done it a little differently to begin with.
There....hope it helps.....BB
-
Andy please dont hold back on what you want to say, i look at things with perspective and don't take what everybody says as the law. I just like to read different opinions, take ones which i think might be valid...others not..just good to know everyones experiences and thoughts!
The reason I want to go to college or a music school is because i really havent got my playing quite together yet...actually no where near...i 've been playing for 3 and a bit years and only really decided to practice seriously about a year or so ago.
I believe that at a college i can get my playing down...be around music ALL the time...and as someone mentioned..that kind of environment where your around music and instruments for maybe 6 hours a day is something that i would not be able to achieve by doing it myself...plus if i just went out to play...i would have to pay my own way through life...if i attend a college or university...my parents will help me out financially and then hopefully when im done there i will have my playing down and i will be able to make a good impression from the start whereas if i go out now..i may spread some bad publicity for myself through not top notch playing...
Plus i plan to get out there and play whilst im at college ! I hope our paths will cross one of these days as with all hod members!
-
While it is increasingly easier to be exposed great music almost anywhere, one advantage a good music school will give you is establishing relationships with talented, hungry folks who may well be kindred spirits -- and who will be the movers and shakers of the future.
While a Berklee or North Texas Degree performance degree may well over qualify one to be a professional dog walker (life is not fair), having those skills and being known in a place where they are of use, e.g., a major music market, can reduce your need to walk dogs. Folks tend to hire folks whom they know, who can play well, and whom they like.
<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ December 07, 2005 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Riddim ]</font></font>
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 08, 2005 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Riddim ]</font>
-
I have a unique and what I'd like to think is a pretty encouraging story to tell about being a full-time musician. I started late in life mainly due to my parents being extremely unsupportive of my drumming. I didn't even get a set until after high school! I worked out on my bed with a beat up pair of sticks and learned by emulating drummers off my record collection.
My parents were from the old school that said getting a college degree would be the key to my future. I got an A.A. degree in Liberal Arts then a B.S. degree in Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement. All during this time, I was playing in churches and jamming with my friends. After college graduation, I was hired by a county law enforcement agency and worked custody (jail work) for 9 years. My first assignment was at a minimum security institution in the local mountains... graveyard shift! Needless to say I had a lot of downtime. I brought practice pads, method books and my metronome and literally burned the midnight oil shedding (while getting paid). It didn't take long for me to realize this was not the career for me. But the job was secure and the benefits were nice.
I then went to a maximum security institution in the city where I worked intake for 2 years then transferred to the security unit. This is where I spent the remainder of my time with the county. The job was dangerous but exciting. My team was responsible for breaking up fights, performing cell extractions, conducting line-ups and more of the "glamorous" (if you can call it that) duties of custody.
During this time, I began making plans to transition into a career as a full-time musician. I began studying with some heavy cats here in LA and Orange County. I landed a sweet gig with a Warner Brother's country artist and a well known religious hard rock band. I had married and started a teaching practice as well. I was killing myself working double shifts to cover the touring but it was worth it.
Then while performing a routine cell extraction on a large inmate, I damaged the bone in my right knee and needed surgery and a year of recouperation. During this time, my wife and I decided I'd pursue music full-time.
All this backstory to say it was the best decision I've ever made in my life. I've never been happier. I just turned 40 and the best advice I can give is to market yourself in as many different ways as possible. Play as many styles of music as you can, teach privately, find a local studio and try to work yourself in to help out aspiring singer/songwriters who need band members, network with other musicians, play as much possible and get your name out there.
I recently changed my private teaching practice into a music academy with a guitar player friend. We have 12 teachers and an office manager. We are slowly getting away from teaching as we develop systems for the studio to run itself. This frees up more time for family and performance.
The bottom line is that there are several different ways to make a living with your music. I went about it backwards, but it makes me appreciate it all the more having worked all the shit jobs. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Remember, Henry Ford (a relatively successful businessman) said, "If you think you can do it or you think you can't do it, you are right".
Sorry for the epic-length post!
-
that is inspiring! Im happy your doing!
thanks for sharing that! Really great stuff